Having an Italian grandfather will teach a girl a lot about life – mainly the amore of cooking, appreciation for crusty bread, the importance of wine with food, and that balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil can solve all of the world’s problems.
Thus, I learned that olive oil is the Italian equivalent to the Greeks and Windex (if you havent seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding– that may go over your head). However, my favorite use for olive oil (outside of food of course) is a brilliant pore exfoliator that when used 1-2 times a day for about a week will literally shrink the size of your pores and eliminate blackheads- yea, its that good!
In a world where everything is chemically treated, manipulated, enhanced, broken down, vegan, gluten free, full of false information, its a welcome relief to use one product that couldn’t be more natural or beneficial for your skin.
Olive Oil Pore Exfoliator
- Pour a quarter sized amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into the palm of your hand or into glass dish
- Gently apply the oil in a circular motion all over your face – concentrating on areas you are prone to blackheads – for about 1-2 minutes
- Take a clean wash cloth (preferably all natural fiber or white wash cloth – so there are no dyes or perfumes on the fabric) and wet with the hottest water you can stand
- Lightly ring out the wash cloth and hold it over your face until it becomes cool (about 30 seconds) in order to steam the dirt out of your pores
- When the cloth cools, rinse it out well and repeat the previous step with the hot water, only this time before the cloth cools, gently rub the remaining oil off your face
- Then pat dry with paper towel or clean towel
You are done and your skin will feel as soft as a newborn’s butt – though I’m not really sure I even know what a newborn’s butt feels like since I am allergic to babies, so lets say – as soft as your favorite silk scarf :)
If your skin is dry only do this once a day and at night is better, but if your skin is normal to oily then apply twice a day and in about a week you wont notice your own face!